|10, 11, 12||
|Click here for a current syllabus and an archive.|
|This course includes a study of nutrition, food terms, kitchen equipment, accurate measuring and food safety. Foods units include meats, eggs, dairy products, fruits, vegetables, cereal products, breads and desserts. Table setting and service will also be covered and this will be used in the final meal.
1. The student will understand the basics of nutrition.
2. The student will understand and practice kitchen and food safety.
3. The student will be able to read, understand and prepare a recipe.
4. The student will be able to work cooperatively with other students.
5. The student will plan and carry out a meal plan.
6. The student will learn about Food careers.
FOODS - Textbook Guide to Good Food by Largen and Bence
We will cover the following chapters in this textbook:
Chapter 2 Nutritional Needs
Chapter 3 Making Healthful Food Choices
Chapter 5 Safeguarding the Familys Health
Chapter 9 Kitchen Utensils
Chapter 11 The Smart Consumer
Chapter 12 Getting Started in the Kitchen
Chapter 13 Meat
Chapter 14 Poultry
Chapter 15 Fish and Shellfish
Chapter 16 Eggs
Chapter 17 Dairy Products
Chapter 18 Fruits
Chapter 19 Vegetables
Chapter 21 Cereal Products
Chapter 22 Breads
Chapter 23 Cakes, Cookies, Pies and Candies
A 95-100 B- 83-85 D+ 71-73
A- 92-94 C+ 80-82 D 68-70
B+ 89-91 C 77-79 D- 65-67
B 86-88 C- 74-76 F 64 and below