|Click here for a current syllabus and an archive.|
|Get fit, eat fit and be fit! This course will guide students through the questions and myths of specific nutrients such as water, carbohydrates, protein, fat, vitamins, and minerals. Other topics covered in this course are: body fat composition, pre-game and post-game meals, fast foods, steroids, carbohydrate loading, sports drinks, caffeine exercise recommendations, and eating disorders. Contemporary nutrition topics relevant to today's teens will be explored through independent research, group work and hands-on activities. Students will have a unique opportunity to apply their learning through in-class food preparation and evaluation. Self-assessment and monitoring of personal nutrition and fitness status is an integral part of this course.
1. The student will explore wellness and healthy lifestyles.
2. The student will complete a personal fitness assessment.
3. The student will complete a personal diet analysis.
4. The student will develop and implement a personal fitness program.
5. The student will plan and prepare nutritional foods.
6. The student will complete a paper on what they have learned in this class and why it is important in life.
NUTRITION, EXERCISE AND YOU Textbook: Food, Nutrition & Wellness
Chapters covered in the text:
Chapter 1 Wellness and Food Choices
Chapter 2 Physical Fitness and Active Living
Chapter 7 Nutrients: From Food to You
Chapter 8 Dietary Guidelines
Chapter 9 My Pyramid and You
Chapter 10 Choices for Your Healthy Weight
Chapter 11 Fuel Up for Sports
Chapter 14 Special Health Concerns
Chapter 16 Planning Nutritious Meals and Snacks
Other topics covered not in the book:
Body Fat Composition
A 95-100 B- 83-85 D+ 71-73
A- 92-94 C+ 80-82 D 68-70
B+ 89-91 C 77-79 D- 65-67
B 86-88 C- 74-76 F 64 and below